Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

The Things People Say. . .

I've reached a point in my pregnancy where I am obviously pregnant.  I've passed the "Is she just gaining weight? Maybe she's fat" stage and entered into a whole new unknown.  It the place where complete strangers feel it's appropriate to comment on my size, my weight, my tummy roundness, and anything else they can.

The conversation ususally goes something like this:

Stranger: So, when are you due?
Me: August
Stranger: Ooohhhhh (then looks at stomach again)
Me: Yep
Stranger: Are you sure there's just one in there?
Me: Yep (but what I really want to say is some snappy comeback about them making judgments about my weight)
Stranger: That baby's gonna be huge then!
Me: Well the doctor is fine with her growth, so I'm not worried
Stranger then usually lapses into a story about a friends brothers cousins ex wife who had a kid who was huge and how it totally wrecked her body/mind/car etc.

Yeah, thanks stranger.  I find your knowledge about me being pregnant just as helpful as all that information you spouted regarding infertility.  I mean, doesn't everyone trust other peoples advice more than that of their health care provider?

Then last week at work, a male coworker comes up and asks me, "So, how much weight have you gained?"  First off, none of your damn business.  And second, I haven't actually gained any weight.  How do people think that this is an ok question to ask? 

And finally, I have to complain a bit about the little kids in my neighborhood.  Every single time I step outside, one of the brats kids says "Wow, your tummy is HUGE!"  Is it bad of me that I want to respond with something to make them run inside and cry?  Probably.

Honestly though, even though these people annoy me, and I will complain about them (because I'm a top notch complainer, just ask The Husband) a big part of me is thrilled that people are recognizing I'm pregnant.  And if they don't understand exactly how much of a miracle I consider all of this, it's their loss.  Because I'm loving it.

1 comment:

  1. HA! Love your attitude. You rock that baby belly and tell them all to shove it if you want.

    ReplyDelete