Wednesday, January 26, 2011


Last Thursday morning started out like any and every morning.  Woke up and ran went to the bathroom.  Didn't think anything was wrong until I wiped.  And saw red blood.  Red.  Cue huge freak out. 

I went back to the bedroom and stretched out next to my husband, who, smart man that he is, immediately figured out something was wrong.  It could have been because I never get back into bed once I'm awake and getting ready for work.  Or it could have been the sobs.  You pick.

Called the after hours line at my doctors office.  I just kept thinking of all of the blog ladies I've read who had bleeding and everything turned out ok.  Finally got a call back.  I told the doctor on call about the spotting and how far along we were, and he wanted us to come in for an ultrasound just to make sure everything was ok.  He said that more than likely everything was fine, but that having me worry isn't worth it.

Then I wait for an appointment time.  Did I mention that my doctor takes Thursdays off?  So I'm laying at home, in bed, freaking out that something is wrong with Bubbles, and thinking that I'm going to have to meet another doctor.  Anyway, as I'm laying there worrying myself to pieces I get a phone call.  From my doctor.  And he wants me to come in that afternoon for an ultrasound that he will perform.  On his day off. 

Cue the tears.   I called my husband (he went to work because of a big project) and he agreed to meet me at the doctors office.  Meanwhile, I've called work and told them I'm sick, and called my mother and told her the same thing.  I just couldn't bring myself to tell anyone else that Bubbles might be in trouble.

When we got to the doctors office, he was waiting for us and took us right down to the ultrasound machine.  And then, after what seemed like forever, we saw a picture of Bubbles, looking fine and healthy!  And next to Bubbles (and Bubbles living area) was a good sized dark patch.  The doctor said it was probably blood, and to expect more spotting.  He said it was probably what caused the spotting, and probably (yes, he said that word that many times) because of the placenta attaching to my uterine wall.

Here's the fun part though.  He said that that patch of darkness is most likely what the ultrasound tech thought was the twin.  I'm still not sure about the second yolk sac, and neither is my doctor.  He has never seen any additional yolk sacs at any of my ultrasounds.  Maybe it was just a weird glitch in the ultrasound machine at the study place?  I'll probably (hehe) never know.

It's a week later, and I've had no more spotting.  We've made it to 10 weeks and 4 days.  It still seems very unreal to me.  My fertile friends say that it started to hit home for them when they missed their second cycle.  But I've gone months without a period, so missing two in a row doesn't seem like that big of a deal.


  1. Oh you poor thing. How scary that must have been! So glad everything is okay. Here's to no more scares during this pregnancy!

  2. Oh my gosh! I'm so glad everything is okay.

  3. Wow, that is a very scary story. I am so glad everything is ok. My cousin had spotting early in her pregnancy and it turned out she had placenta previa. But seeing red when you're pregnant is super scary no matter what it is.
    I'll keep you in my pravers!

  4. omg how scary... I am so SO glad that all is well for you though. And how nice of your doctor to come in on his day off!

  5. Ack! How scary! I'm so sorry you had to go through that, but it's fantastic that they got you in and that your doc came in to see you. I'm so glad Bubbles is doing well. HUGS. Oh, and I'm 27 weeks and still somewhat in denial. LOL. Totally normal, it seems.

  6. Oh thank goodness that Bubbles is doing well!

    What an awesome doctor you have there. <3

  7. Wow, what a scare. That's so awesome of your doctor to come in on his day off. I'm so happy Bubbles is healthy and fine.