Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Why I need a new job

As promised, the explanation for why I need a new job.

Currently I am a contract worker for the government.  That means I work at the government, but get paid by someone else.  It's a great way for the offices to keep costs down (ie, they don't have to give me all the benefits a regular government employee gets).

I really love what I do.  I find my job fulfilling.  The days where I dread going into work are few and far between.  And I may complain about Dingbat, but honestly she's the sweetest lady (just has a couple of screws loose).

The problem is that in the last three years I've worked as a contractor, I've had four contract companies.  Four different companies paying my wages and providing benefits.  They've all been nice, but they don't seem to have staying power (I'm not sure that's their fault).

Come March I'm facing not having a job because my office won't be able to pay the newest contract company.  They are hoping to find some money somewhere to keep me on, but I'm not holding my breath.  With the economy the way it is, it's a wonder any government organization has money to run it's day to day business.

I've known about this since before Thanksgiving, and I've been job hunting since then.  But as anyone who's looking for a job knows, there aren't that many openings, and there are a lot of people applying for what's available.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, sweetie. I'm glad you are relieved about not getting the job, but I do hope you are able to find something and soon! It really is tough out there. Hang in there...I'm pulling for you!

    ReplyDelete